Thursday, June 5, 2008

Desolation Canyon River Trip '08




Two days back, nearly 500 pictures and a sun burned shoulder and im already missing it... This year was so great! It was a small group this year, just Dad, Kim, their friends John and Nikki, Taylor, Brady, Kevin, and me. We
 couldnt have asked for more
 perfect weather. It was nothing but sun but it wasnt scorching
 hot. The river was running high and fast, the highest we have ever seen in fact. It has been high in previous years, something like 1500-1700 whatevertheymesureitins but this year it was around 2100-2300 depending on the day. We ended up staying at a lot of familiar places and seeing familiar sights. This year at cold creak we did the two mile hike to some petroglyphs i have never been two before. It was a lot of fun but it was pretty detrimental to Kevin and Taylor as we had dawned our short shorts for the hike and they failed to get enough sunscreen on t
hem... Oops... This was the most open trip i have ever been on with my dad. Nothing was held
 back. Their boat drank, me and keven drank. Dirty jokes came out, the fuck word was used in execs by EVERYONE. It was just... true. Taylor and I saw a side of our dad that we knew existed
 but he was always carful to 
keep from us in a "my kids dont need to be exposed to me talking
 and drinking like this yet" sorta way. I guess it seemed like a right of passage in a way. We are both growing up and coming into our own and i think he knows that we love our dad no matter what and in no way do we look down on him for swearing or drinking or anything else. All in all it was just a good all around bonding trip. My little brother is growing up so damn fast and i am so glad he still makes time to come on the river! It just wouldnt have been the same without him there. I absolutely loved the late night pow wows with Kevin, Brady, Tay, and me... I liked it even more when Kevin and Brady whent on a "nature hike" and me and Tay got some alone time. It really makes me want to go on some type of trip with just him... I cant wait till next year.

No comments: