Tuesday, July 1, 2008

On the streets of SLC




So, for my final project for my photography class we had to present 4-6 8x10's that had some type of theme. So i decided to challenge myself with a scary project. Portraits of random strangers. I am a pretty timid person by nature but i really wanted to over come that (i still have work to do) and i thought this would be a great way to start. So me and Tonja, a friend from work who recently purchased a Nikon D80, set out for Salt Lake. We were both a little nervous and walked around for quite a bit before asking our first stranger if we could take their picture. He said no. Damn it. Oh well, he was nice about it and had a reason: he was a security guard and told us that he couldn't be photographed in his work uniform for "security reasons". Any who, so we walked around the rest of the night asking most of the people we thought were interesting including the smiling homeless man named Bob whos pic you cant miss. I was more picky that Tonja of who we took pictures of, partly cus i was nervous and partly cus i had some specific qualities in mind. But it turned out to be a great experience that i want to do again very soon but with my digital (i was shooting film for my class) and we got some great images!

1 comment:

tj said...

Your photos really are remarkable. I don't think I can pick a favorite. I love the story behind the pictures. The people who let us take their photos were very open and trusting with us. I must say, very cool. Thanks for a great night.... and did you just call yourself "picky?" I can't believe that!
You... picky.... never!